A family that prays together, stays together. I don’t know who first said that, but I think its such an important truth. Since I got married, we have struggled with family devotion because of our schedule. Sometimes I am up till 5.00am and so there is no way I can wake up at 6.00am for family devotion. Sometimes its Olu that’s too tired. But the truth of the matter is that this is being so difficult because a family that prays together is a powerful family.
There are many scriptures that talk about unity in scriptures. One of my favorites is Matt 18:18-20.
“Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. “Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”
When two or three are gathered together in my name – This looks exactly like a husband and wife or a couple and one or more children. If only more families can resit the attack of the enemy against the family devotion, we will have the move of God much more in our cities and nations than we are experiencing today. No matter how difficult it is to have family devotion, we have decided that we will never let anything stop it in our family. Even if we miss one or two days, we would not give up on it rather we would continue from where we stopped.
Please do not give any excuses. Try to find a way to make sure you have family devotions. Sometimes I tell myself that we both pray individually. Yes its true I spend quality time with the Lord everyday and so does my sweetheart Olu. However, personal devotion is not a substitute for family devotion. Remember the promise says “where 2 or 3 are gathered…”.
What is Family Devotion?
Family devotion is a time spent with the Lord together as a family. It usually involves a time of praise and worship (usually in songs), Study of the Bible and Prayers. It can be done in the morning (preferably or at night). The ideal will be to have one in the morning (short) and a longer one at night.
Why is it important?
1) There is power in the prayer of agreement as we can see from Matt 18:18-20. It’s easy to agree with your wife and children that you want healing for one of the members of the family, that you want more grace to do your work, fruitfulness in ministry, breakthrough in business, salvation of a friend or family member. Family devotion creates an atmosphere and opportunity to have prayers that are powerful. Whenever Olu and I have agreed on specific issues quoting this scriptures we have seen God move in miraculous ways. Two weeks ago we wrote some post dated cheques even though we did not have money in our accounts. We prayed a prayer of agreement that the Lord will provide and God provided for us, one day at a time and even a friend all the way from Nigeria has promised to send us some money (over $500). God did all this without us having to ask any individual for money. We simply prayed a prayer of agreement in our home. You can try it too. It’s one of the benefits of marriage.
2) When a couple prays together, they cannot stay mad at each other beyond the time of family devotions. I will suggest that couples should try to ensure that they settle any problems that they have at the family devotion – 1 Peter 3: 7 makes it clear that your prayers are hindered when your wife has something she is unhappy with you about (I believe the same applies to the wife.) Mark 11:25 also makes it clear that if you do not forgive those who offend you, you cannot receive forgiveness from God. I don’t know about you, I’d rather be a fool with my wife than being in trouble with God.
3) When there are children in the family, they begin to learn how to pray and trust God for daily provision, wisdom, protection and companionship from an early age. It is a glorious thing for children to trust God from such an age. It also gives the older children an opportunity to share their views about the scriptures and practice leading prayers and worship.
4) The family devotion is a good time to answer some of the theological questions that children may have. At the same time it is a good time for couples to share their spiritual development with each other. Olu and I always have a nice time discussing scriptures and how we have been blessed by particular scriptures. It is a good idea to read a chapter everyday until you read through the Bible. This is one sure way of reading through the Bible. It would take less than 3 yrs to read through the Bible one chapter a day.
5) Family devotion is a perfect way for a family to bond together spiritually. Apart from physical bonding and emotional bonding, there is need for spiritual bonding. Family Devotion creates avenue for a couple to get closer to each other spiritually.
In conclusion, family devotion is so powerful and useful in a family and in our society as a whole that the forces of darkness will do their best to kill it and make sure that it never takes off. When it does take off, they try to bring it to an end. I would love to encourage you to keep the faith and trust the Lord to help you so that no matter what happens, you will always spend QUALITY TIME together as a FAMILY with the Lord.