Wisdom inspires appropriate action – Here are some of the things to do to honor the Lord with your possessions (things we are learning to do)
- I thank the Lord for everything I have – I mention them one by one. My health, my beautiful and loving wife, my two boys, my church family, my joy and on an on as much as I have time for it.
- We (my wife and I) have “giving to others” on our budget – we need to improve on this but it is such a pleasure to have some money set aside to bless others.
- We give a minimum of 10% of our income to the local church – our church uses this to create an environment where other believers come together to praise the Lord and help others – What our church family does with the little we all contribute is such a joy to see.
- We give to other organisations that we believe in their vision
- We give at our level and challenge God to give us more so we can give more. It’s a joy to pray such prayers with so much confidence.
- I am also learning to enjoy what I have been given – never to feel bad for being blessed. To use my stuff with gratitude and be willing to pass it on to the next person. What a joy I am getting from learning this. An example of this is that as new clothes enter my wardrobe, some older ones must leave – Many of these new clothes are gifts from people who love and care about me.
The statement above does not stand alone!
Honor the Lord with your possessions,
And with the firstfruits of all your increase;
So your barns will be filled with plenty,
And your vats will overflow with new wine.
Proverbs 3: 9-10 (NKJV)
Although it challenges our natural way of thinking, it is actually a very wise instruction. Honor the Lord with your possessions! What does that really mean? How do you honor God? Why should you honor God with your possessions? How does honoring God with my possession help me? Here are some thoughts on these words of wisdom!
1) Honoring the Lord with your Possessions helps you remember that nothing really is yours to keep! Thinks of your life on earth as a visit! Everything you gather are only for the time you are visiting! You can’t take any of it with you beyond your journey here! When you choose therefore to honor the Lord with your possessions, what you discover is that your attachment to the possession becomes easier to break and the fear of loosing them is greatly reduced or at least it bears less on your heart.
2) To Honor the Lord with your possession is to use it for what pleases God! To use it in such a way that other people respect and honor God. When you do this, you find that you increase the motivation to get more so you can bring more honor. Your drive to get wealth becomes healthy and less burdensome. It’s no more to prove to your family, friends and ‘enemies’ that you are better than them. Rather it is so that you can be a blessing to others and as a result honor God with your possessions. God is love, whatever is done in love pleases God! When you use your possessions to show that you love all those around you, God is honored!
3) It is wisdom to do this because to honor someone is to appreciate them! To honor God is to thank God publicly for what you have. It is to give a portion towards the praise and propagation of the message of God! To help build the knowledge of God at church gatherings. To show and declare that all I have comes from God is to honor God with my possessions. If you are seeking wisdom, heed this instruction and I believe you will be richer and your wealth will bring you more joy than you can imagine. If there ever is a loss, it will not bring you much sorrow because you know that the wealth was never yours to keep in the first place.
4) To use your stuff with gratitude and to enjoy it is to honor God – Have you experienced the joy of giving a gift to your child and he or she loves it so much they tell everyone they meet for the next one month about the gift you gave them? And they use it everyday and all the time? We experienced a little of that recently when we got our boys their first bikes! Make some noise about what God gave you! Tell everyone and use it well but be willing to let it go to the next person when the time comes.
Okay this is a long post! What creative ways have you come up with to honor the Lord with your possessions! Drop a comment. I love reading them!